I'm sure this is among your wishes for the new year... Now it's time for taking it off the paper. Start planning as early as possible and there will be plenty of opportunities to travel more in 2019.
First things first: check the calendar for all holidays in 2019! Start considering the possibilities. I'll take Vienna as example:
- April 22: Easter Monday
- May 1: Labor Day - wednesday
- May 30: Ascension Day - thursday
- June 10: Whit Monday
- June 20: Corpus Christi - thursday
- August 15: Assumption of Mary - thursday
- November 1: All Saint's Day - friday
- November 15: Saint Leopold's Day - friday
- December 24-25: Christmas - tuesday/wednesday
- December 26: St. Stephen's Day - thursday
Without the Christmas break, there are 4 monday/fridays when it's a no-brainer to get out of town. Then you have 3 thursdays, which combined with 1 day from your annual leave, give you 4 full days of vacation. These ones depend on agreements with your employer/team. But bring the topic as soon as possible to the table and you increase your chances of securing those days for yourself 🙂
But that's not all! There's even more opportunity to travel in 2019.
Late Spring and Summer
Those weekends are perfect for short trips of max 2-3 hours flights. Wouldn't you like to return suntanned to the office come monday morning? Here are some rules for pulling this off:
- Travel light! Hand-luggage only is mandatory.
- Bring your small suitcase with you to the office on friday and go straight to the airport. Pack an easy outfit to change before going, if you prefer. Some selected and unexpensive gear will help.
- Don't book a hotel far from your area of interest. Whether it's the beach or a historical center, you don't want to waste your precious time with unnecessary moving around.
- Consider how to leave and return to the airport. Being too far will mean expensive taxis, time-consuming transfers or both. Make smart decisions! This is always explained in the 101 Guides for each city and it's particularly crucial for short trips.
- Forget luxury accommodation. Yes, a clean and safe place to sleep is priority but you won't spend time in the hotel. So if you need to choose between a fancier place far from your area of interest or a simpler one in the center of the action, go with the latter.
Cheers and Happy Travels!
Do you have more tips to share? Do you also plan to travel more in 2019? Let me know in the comments below.
Don't Be That Person: Flying Edition
10 Simple Ways To Make Frequent-Flying Easier
How To Choose Your Hotel on Short Trips: 4 Simple Rules