Now that it feels like the pandemic is truly behind us, it’s time to plan a travelful new year!
After a hiatus due to personal reasons, I figure this is the best kind of comeback post 🙂 And with that in mind, let’s start looking at the travel opportunities starting with Easter. So, first things first: check the calendar for all holidays in 2023. I’ll take Vienna as an example:
|April 10||Easter Monday||Monday|
|May 1||Labor Day||Monday|
|May 18||Ascension Day||Thursday|
|May 29||Whit Monday||Monday|
|June 8||Corpus Christi||Thursday|
|August 15||Assumption of Mary||Tuesday|
|October 26||National Day||Thursday|
|November 1||All Saints' Day||Wednesday|
|November 15||Saint Leopold's Day||Wednesday|
|December 8||Immaculate Conception||Friday|
|December 26||St. Stephen's Day||Tuesday|
|December 31||New Year's Eve||Sunday|
|January 1, 2024||New Year's Day||Monday|
|January 6, 2024||Epiphany||Saturday|
Without the Christmas/NYE break, there are 4 monday/fridays when it’s a no-brainer to get out of town. Then you have 4 tuesday/thursdays, which combined with 1 day from your annual leave, give you 4 full days of vacation. These ones depend on agreements with your employer/team. But bring the topic as soon as possible to the table and you increase your chances of securing those days for yourself 🙂
But that’s not all! There’s even more opportunity to travel in 2023.
Late Spring and Summer
Those weekends are perfect for short trips of max 2-3 hours flights. Wouldn’t you like to return suntanned to the office come monday morning? Here are some tips for pulling this off:
- Travel light! Hand-luggage only.
- Bring your trolley with you to the office on friday and go straight to the airport. Pack an easy outfit to change before going, if you prefer. Some selected and unexpensive gear will help.
- Don’t book a hotel far from your area of interest. Whether it’s the beach or a historical center, you don’t want to waste your precious time with unnecessary moving around.
- Take into account how to leave and return to the airport. Being too far will mean expensive taxis, time-consuming transfers, or both. This is particularly crucial for short trips and it’s always explained in the 101 Guides for each city.
- Forget luxury accommodation. Yes, a clean and safe place to sleep is a priority but you won’t spend time in the hotel. So if you need to choose between a fancier place far from your area of interest or a simpler one in the center of the action, go with the latter.
We’ll be back in mid-January with new posts to help you travel better, so you can travel more! Until then…
Cheers and Happy Travels in the New Year! 🥂
Do you have more tips to share? Do you also plan to travel more in 2023? Let me know in the comments below.